Monday, May 14, 2012

In Memoriam.

And here you thought it could just be a laughing day. LIES. 

Almost immediately after finishing my blog post earlier today, I found out that one of my teachers from high school passed away. Mr. Robert Demeritt was a brilliant man who had too much knowledge for one short, jaunty man. He was a true inspiration for the students he taught, all the while dressed up in a bow tie. Although I only had him as a scheduled teacher for a semester, the impact that he has had on the lives around me and the lessons he taught through the way he lived his life are pervasive. From the ability to speak seriously-but not too seriously, to always leading with a smile, to never losing the ability to dance, these true life lessons make the biggest difference in nearly all situations.  I'm proud to be his student, and I know I will remember him fondly many years from now. 

As much as I would like to elaborate on the kinds of things that Mr. Demeritt managed to cram into my skull, I think another Barstow teacher beat me to the punch with his homage-a-la-art. Mr. Luce took the painting right out of my brain (it's kind of like taking the words right out of your mouth, but for art history nerds). Rothko expresses every part of this turmoil of emotions, and does so stunningly. 

http://my-kid-could-paint-that.blogspot.com/2012/05/robert-demeritt-rest-in-peace.html 

Thanks Mr. Luce for that piece of prose.

And thank you Mr. Demeritt for changing every life you encountered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment